Skip to main content

Featured

How to Make a Productive Study Space

In recent years, we’ve seen the term “aesthetic” pop up over and over again on social media. In it’s current usage, the word refers to the distinct look or style of a person, company, or place. Aesthetics have also entered the academic sphere, with things like studygram, studyblr, studytube popping up on various social media platforms. These are accounts that are centered around making productivity, academics, and study visually appealing. The logic behind it is, if your space is functional as well as beautiful, there will be more motivation to study.   I think this is an interesting phenomena, and I think it is a true one. In today’s post, I will be taking you through some of the things I do to maximize my work space, as well as make it efficient. First, let’s start off with some of the basic things that I always have on my desk Book stand Planner/Notebook Globe (this will make sense later, I promise)   As history majors, we do a LOT of reading and writing. It’s so difficult to fumble

7 Things to Keep in Mind When Registering for Classes

 Fall semester and registration are just around the corner, and soon, many university students are going to be signing up for their new classes. The 7 tips in this simple guide will help you learn how to work smarter, not harder, and build a class schedule that is a perfect for you and your needs.

1. Requirements

This is one of the first things that should be taken into consideration when exploring classes to take. Obviously, to graduate with a college degree, there are certain requirements that you have to meet, and finding classes that meet those requirements is something that is usually at the top of every college student’s list when they’re selecting classes. Does this class fulfill a major requirement? Or a GE? 

But what is also important to consider is not only if this class meet YOUR requirements, but also if you meet ITS requirements. Many advanced courses in university require students to fulfill certain prerequisites, either by taking a beginner’s or introductory course, or by passing a test. Make sure that you look into all of these things before enrolling in a class. 


2. Instructor


Knowing who’s teaching the course is a BIG dealbreaker for me. I like to go into a class having a good idea of the person who’s teaching it, what they are like, and what other students think about them. A great source for this is Rate My Professors. Rate My Professors is a website where students can leave reviews about professors and classes. The history department at my university is very small and we work closely with the professors, which makes this an incredible resource for me personally. If you’re going to be in a similar setting, then Rate My Professors will be especially helpful.

You can find the link here: https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/


3. Walking Time


Walking time is something that is SO overlooked when talking about classes and schedule building, particularly for those who go to large universities. If you’re going to be taking consecutive classes that are only 10 or 15 minutes apart, then knowing where classes are located will be imperative for class selection and registration. Ask yourself: how long does it take take to walk from one class to the other? Do I need to rush to get there? Freshmen and other students who haven’t been on campus yet because of coronavirus, then reach out to upperclassmen or other resources on campus for information on class locations. 


4. Break Times


Like with walking time, break time is also an important factor to consider when picking classes. Don’t take classes during a time of day that you know you usually get hungry, or when you usually take your midday nap! Evaluating when you need breaks and how many hours usually pass before you get hungry. Being aware of and taking care of your own needs will help you become a better student.


5. Reboot


This one is almost identical to number 4, but I thought it was important to include it separately. If you need time in between classes to mentally transition from subject to the other, plan it into your schedule. Blocking time out for transition, rebooting, and just making mental space overall can truly make the difference. 


6. Big Picture


Whenever I sign up for a class, I try to think about how that class contributes to my long term goals and career aspirations. When I was looking for a class to fulfill my science GE, I intentionally chose geology, because I knew that knowing about the Earth’s form and how it changes would be useful to my study of history, especially prehistory. If you can find classes that are tangential to your career goals, or explore another aspect of it, then taking that class will be a great opportunity to diversify your knowledge and become better as a student. However, keep in mind that not EVERYTHING has to have a use. Taking classes and learning about things purely for enjoyment is important too. Furthering your academic interests doesn’t only apply to a career setting. 


7. Competition


Sometimes, it’s very easy to get caught up in a competition with our peers. If it seems like someone is doing more work than me, being more “productive” than me, I feel guilty for not being as busy as them. Many students get caught into feeling unproductive or lazy, which can be detrimental to mental health, and in turn, lead to poor performance in school work. It’s important to understand that everyone’s circumstances are unique. Do what works best for *you* not for others.


I hope these tips were helpful to you. Let me know in the comments which ones were the most useful! 


Stay tuned for the next blog post, which is about productive study spaces. 

For a video on this topic, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6v41ImjinM



https://www.pinterest.com/pin/518828819576880118/


Comments

Popular Posts