Featured

How to Make a Productive Study Space

In recent years, we’ve seen the term “aesthetic” pop up over and over again on social media. In it’s current usage, the word refers to the distinct look or style of a person, company, or place. Aesthetics have also entered the academic sphere, with things like studygram, studyblr, studytube popping up on various social media platforms. These are accounts that are centered around making productivity, academics, and study visually appealing. The logic behind it is, if your space is functional as well as beautiful, there will be more motivation to study. 


I think this is an interesting phenomena, and I think it is a true one. In today’s post, I will be taking you through some of the things I do to maximize my work space, as well as make it efficient. First, let’s start off with some of the basic things that I always have on my desk

  • Book stand
  • Planner/Notebook
  • Globe (this will make sense later, I promise) 


As history majors, we do a LOT of reading and writing. It’s so difficult to fumble with a textbook and a laptop at the same time; sometimes the spine of the book falls on the keyboard and presses random keys, and sometimes its difficult to see what you’re writing on the screen because the book is leaning against it. I find that having an actual stand to place my book on so that I can look at it while typing is incredibly helpful. It gives you extra free space on the desk to also write notes. I always keep a small notebook nearby for those last minute assignments professors come up with, especially when they tell *me* to remind them about it later. One of the key elements in a productive workspace is to make use of the surface area. As for the globe…yes, I do use it while I’m writing. It actually comes in handy for history! If I need to refer to the proximity of two places, or a certain sea, my globe is my go-to. Plus, it looks very prestigious. 


Next, think about what makes you comfortable. It’s hard to be productive if the space you’re in is uncomfortable and you’re constantly having to get up to fix something. Do you need snacks, water, socks, or anything else? Make sure to keep those things nearby. 


The last thing that contributes to a productive study space is ambience. This is a little similar to what I mentioned earlier about comfort. Make sure you have good lighting, that your heating or AC is set at a temperature that you like, and put on a nice, long playlist (if you listen to music). Studying properly is all about what makes you work well, and what makes you concentrate best. 


What are some things you do to make your study space work for you? 



What my desk looks like (minus the bookstand)

Comments

Popular Posts