Skip to main content

Featured

How to Make a Productive Study Space

In recent years, we’ve seen the term “aesthetic” pop up over and over again on social media. In it’s current usage, the word refers to the distinct look or style of a person, company, or place. Aesthetics have also entered the academic sphere, with things like studygram, studyblr, studytube popping up on various social media platforms. These are accounts that are centered around making productivity, academics, and study visually appealing. The logic behind it is, if your space is functional as well as beautiful, there will be more motivation to study.   I think this is an interesting phenomena, and I think it is a true one. In today’s post, I will be taking you through some of the things I do to maximize my work space, as well as make it efficient. First, let’s start off with some of the basic things that I always have on my desk Book stand Planner/Notebook Globe (this will make sense later, I promise)   As history majors, we do a LOT of reading and writing. It’s so difficult to fumble

Tips for Stress Management

 Have you ever had a week that just felt….uncalled for? All of a sudden your inbox blows up, your professors pile on the assignments, your job wants you to come in on Saturday, and Grandma keeps tagging you in minion memes on Facebook. When I have weeks like this, I notice that the quality of my work tends to go down, which in turn makes my week even more stressful. Weeks like this often call for a bit more of intentional, slow living, and a bit less of the rat race. I’ve made a list below. Find what works best for you. 


Aestheticism

While making aesthetically appealing graphic designs or outfits may not be for everyone, I find that simply engaging with items that I find to be visually appealing helps relax my mind. There are so many ways to do this! 

  • Watch a Youtube video with footage of a place you’ve visited or would like to visit 
  • Rearrange your space (or a part of it) in a way that is pleasing to your eye
  • Take pictures of something that is mundane. See if you can spice it up. 
  • Rearrange your digital space; update your wallpapers and widgets, and clean out your desktop


Discovery

One thing that history (and Star Trek!) has taught me is that humans love to explore and find new things. It brings us some sort of joy, a childlike excitement. A stressful week is the perfect time to discover new things and bring some variation into our daily routine. You could

  • Try a food or restaurant you’ve heard about for months, but haven’t gotten around to yet
  • Listen to an album by an artist you’ve never heard of
  • Get one of your favorite clothing items and wear it in a completely different way


Relearning

This last item is probably my favorite. When I get burned out on history, I love to go back and remind myself precisely why I’m in this major. I do this by: 

  • Listening to research by my favorite content creators (history students and dress history aficionadas)   
  • Browsing through the books that inspired me to become a history major
  • Watching an historical documentary or fiction film
  • Looking at my DegreeWorks (this is a system that many universities have. It tracks how much of your major you’ve completed and what you still need to complete. Looking at my progress is very inspiring for me!) 


While this is definitely not an exhaustive list of things that you can do to destress, these are some of the ones that I use the most often. Let me know in the comments what you do when you’re having a stressful week! 



For a Youtube video on this topic, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcOouZ5u2lM&t=62s

I'm super excited for the next post! Stay tuned to to hear all about my favorite content creators tomorrow! 

Comments

Popular Posts